Friday, March 18, 2016

My Opinion on Act 1

     Act 1 of the play certainly had a lot of stuff going. But the relationship between Nora and Helmer got my attention. Helmer treats Nora like a child; incapable of making her own decisions. Unless anyone else proposes anything different about this. Personally, I see Helmer as a man of good intent. He loves Nora and only wants whats best for her but he has a difficult way of showing it sincerely . I remember he called Nora many pet names like this, ''...my little squirrel..''(Ibsen). I suppose that's a way for him to show love to wife. Men back then had to be a strong figure in society. His advancement in the bank adds more to his reputation as well as his ego. Nora seems to be a child trying to act like woman. She can naive to a lot of things in society. Though she will do anything for her husband, she doesn't fully understand the consequences of her actions. She reminds me of the character Miss Armstrong from the book After Alice by Gregory Maguire. They both simply don't understand that for every action is a reaction. But Nora lies too much. She has the  amortization to worry and her husband has no idea about it. Maybe she will change and grow throughout the play but I hardly see that happening anytime soon.
     However, the way this entire scenario is playing out is quite interesting. A lying yet loyal wife, her egotistical husband, a corrupt lawyer, a dying doctor, and a widowed friend. Nora should have never went to Krogstad for help. She should have considered his past in her decision. And as Helmer points out,''A guilty man like that has to lie and has to wear a mask in the presence of those near and dear to him, even before his own wife and child. The children- that is the most terrible part of it all, Nora.'' (Ibsen). But who else could she had gone to? Was it worth it to really ask Krogstad for the money?

6 comments:

  1. Taking money from Krogstad wasn't worth it. Now, Nora is in a very complicated situation and she is in a lot of trouble. She cold have borrowed money from Dr. Rank or just left her husband to deal with being stressed at home. I do not think the trip to Italy was necessary in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented on Elizabeth, Darien, Hannah Q., and Nadia B.'s pages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you because Nora seems to still love her husband even though she lied to him about how she received $1,200. But overall I believe that there could of been other ways to help her husband besides going to Italy. Nora easily makes it obvious that she's hiding something and that its basically eating her alive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, that men back then had to be strong figure in society, but that doesn't mean that Helmer has to be calling his wife pet names that make her seem as if she wasn't smart or wasn't skilled enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I agree with your description about Nora and Torvald, because I actually thought that they were husband and daughter without background information! (Hahaha) I also think Nora at the time of Torvald's sickness was so worried for his health she had no idea who to turn to. Since Krogstad had the money in the time of her need of course she had to take this golden opportunity. Even though she did borrow money she should not have lied to her husband or forged the signature to get it, even in today's modern society I would not ever do something so crazy without my significant other's permission.

    ReplyDelete